On September 21, 1891, an act of the legislature established a public high school system in Jonesboro, and Jonesboro High School was born.
In 1916, the high school moved from its College Street location (near the present site of Jonesboro First Baptist Church) to Spring Street in Jonesboro. During the Christmas holidays of 1917, fire struck, and for one-and-a-half years, classes were held in the Clayton County Courthouse while the school was rebuilt. That building was erected at the site where the Eula Ponds-Perry Center is now located.
In the fall of 1963, Jonesboro High School moved to its present location on Mt. Zion Boulevard. Since 1963 a number of additions have been made to its plant and facilities, curriculum, and staff, the most recent being the addition known as the Freshman Academy which opened in 2008. The library, originally housed in what is now the ROTC room, moved to its own building in 1968. The faculty and staff expanded to include assistant principals, counselors, and more vocational teachers who moved to a new vocational building upon its completion in 1975.
During the 1994-95 school year, a state-of-the-art technology lab was constructed in the areas where the wood and metal shop classes formerly had been taught. At present, Jonesboro High School has over 100 faculty and staff members and approximately 1200 students.
In December 1998, Jonesboro High School was selected as one of the top 100 schools in the United States by U.S. News and World Report.
Jonesboro High School's mission statement is "to be accountable for providing a globally competitive education that empowers students to achieve academic and personal goals and become productive, responsible citizens."